Monday 7 June 2010

Gritty Danish Prison Drama Anyone?

Hi everybody.

I was looking through the offerings for the upcoming Edinburgh International Film Festival and came across a film called 'R' which is a Danish prison drama. See the links below for more information and a trailer (in Danish).


http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/whats-on/2010/r

Anyhow, I am planning to book myself a ticket to see it on Saturday 19 June at 20:45 at the Filmhouse and I think that our esteemed moderator and her non-biological twin are planning on joining me so please feel free to come along and perhaps we can all go for a drink afterwards and discuss the film.

2 comments:

  1. Shame, I will be away that weekend - but it looks really good! And it's described as 'making The Profit look like porridge' or something.. I've seen The Profit and that's a scary thought indeed.

    Has anyone else seen it actually? I'd love to know what they thought! Perhaps we could arrange a (geek-tastic) viewing of it sometime? At the brass monkey? Or any other vaguely criminology related film?

    Just a thought..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've seen A Prophet and so has Christine I think, but we both really enjoyed it and I'm sure we'd watch it again. It seems quite interesting for criminology because it's a great example of a modern prison drama which is quite typical of the genre but which adds really insightful reflections on how various racial groups interact in prison and how these relationships can alter a persons ability to perpetrate violent crimes - well worth a watch and I'd be happy to rent it if anyone wants to see it. Think the brass monkey idea is a really good one, might be a more relaxing summertime way of getting the group together- and also an excuse to watch films! I've also got Gomorrah by Matteo Garrone which I know some of you have seen, but some others might not have... Here's a trailer for both...

    A Prophet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxFbtLBuLg

    Gomorrah:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hky53gXyjX0

    ReplyDelete